Wednesday 8 June 2011

Profession bonuses - one or two?

My guild leader is a strange man.  He racechanges to Tauren for 5000 extra hit points (he's a tank) and flat out told me to turn away any tank applicants with Tailoring, but refuses to even suggest to the raid group that they should have 2 professions with useful bonuses, saying gathering professions are just fine.  "But obviously any tank with Tailoring is dreadful!" you say.  But what if said tank has Enchanting as his other profession?  Enchanting is easiest to level with Tailoring, so couldn't you consider Tailoring then to be his "gathering" profession?

Now don't get me wrong - I don't insist that everyone have Jewelcrafting and either Tailoring (casters), Engineering (caster and melee dps) or Blacksmithing (dps and tanks).  But it really is so easy to have 2 professions that give useful bonuses.  I realise that the average benefit is equivalent to 80 of your favourite stat and how often does an extra 80 strength/agility/intellect or 120 stamina on one toon make the difference between a wipe and a kill?  Well, I guess the answer to that is how many 1% enrage wipes have you had?  How many times have you wiped at 1% because your last healer went oom and had no mana cooldowns left?  How many times has your tank died from a 1500 overkill hit?

And it's not like there aren't useful gathering professions out there.  Mining is acceptable for tank, Herbalism is great for most caster dps and even Skinning is nice for some classes (although let's be honest this would be what? Fire Mage?).  But quite frankly, Mining on a dps toon is just lazy.  Level a damned alt for mining (DKs are cheap and easy and if your main is a DK then you have a lvl55 already get levelling you horrible slacker) and get, well, anything else at all.

What about people who are designated offspeccers?  Should our tank with a healing offspec have Mining?  To me this is a bit of a grey area, but I will say here that if it were me I would get 2 professions that are useful to both of my specs.

No comments:

Post a Comment